Located in the parish of Alturas do Barroso, at an altitude of 1200 meters, the Hillfort of Couto dos Corvos occupies one of the most prominent reliefs of the region, in Cornos das Alturas (High Horns), dominating the wide valley of the middle course of the River Rabagão.
Occupying an area of approximately 6 Ha, its defensive system still conserves three lines of walls, built in irregular polygonal apparatus of granite masonry, that develop parallel to the east slope of the elevation, taking advantage of the existing outcrops and boulders. The hillfort’s arrangement in the slope is disposed in two large platforms. In its best preserved parts, it is still possible to observe the external and internal faces of the walls, presenting an average width of 3.70 m wide.
Next to the hillfort is one of the Barroso World Agricultural Heritage Viewpoints (GIAHS Network).
Source: Unidade de Arqueologia da Universidade do Minho 2018, Iron Age Hillforts of Boticas, Boticas.