Burial Mound and Hill-fort of Outeiro Lesenho

Burial Mound of Chã do Lesenho

The Burial Mound of Chã do Lesenho is a megalithic funerary monument (chronological-cultural period: ± 4000 BC / Neolithic), composed of a chamber under tumulus of earth and stones, which forms a small elevation (the mound). Approximately to the center are visible four suports of the chamber and the cover slab, displaced.

 

 

Hill-fort of Outeiro Lesenho

The Castro do Outeiro Lesenho crowns the hill of the same name, which rises to 1078 meters of altitude, from there dominating a wide landscape that covers practically all the county of Boticas.

 

It is one of the most famous fortified settlements of the Iron Age of the north-west of the Iberian peninsula, not only because of its size and monumentality, but also because it is associated with the largest set of statues of galician-roman warriors.

Classified as a Property of Public Interest, it has been the object of continuous study, conservation and valorization projects, promoted by the Municipality of Boticas.

The Hill-fort of Outeiro Lesenho is part of the Network Castros of the Northwest.

 

Location

12 km (21 minutes by car) from Boticas seat, route R311 (direction Salto) and M519 (direction village of Campos). When you find a sign facing a dirt road, park and follow the remaining 800 meters (distance to the castro) on foot.

 

[wpgmza id=”16″]

 

Sources: CEDIEC; Unidade de Arqueologia da Universidade do Minho 2016, Boticas o Espírito dos Lugares, Boticas. / Photography: TR

SUGGEST CORRECTION

 


PUB